I felt like something beefy for dinner tonight and made beef and mushroom stroganoff. Served with rice and topped with a dollop of crème fraîche, parsley and black pepper. Veg quotient made up with roasted red peppers and courgettes on the side. I love how the oven makes the kitchen nice and warm.
Ingredients (serves 2):
300 beef, cut into thin strips
1 knob of unsalted butter
2 tsp paprika
1 small onion, thinly sliced
150g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
150ml sour cream (I used low fat crème fraîche)
1 tsp lemon juice
Handful of parsley leaves, finely chopped
salt & freshly ground black pepper
1. Melt butter in a large frying pan, add the paprika and onion and cook slowly until the onion is soft and sweet, but not browned.
2. Add the mushrooms and fry gently for three minutes. Transfer the mixture to a plate and keep warm.
3. Using the same pan, heat some olive oil until hot.
4. Add the beef and fry quickly, seasoning and turning it as you do so, for just over one minute.
5. Return the onion mixture to the pan and pour in the sour cream. Bring to the boil and simmer for a minute or so, until thickened.
6. Return the beef to the pan and heat very gently for one minute - the beef should not be cooked any further.
7. Stir in the lemon juice and parsley and serve with rice.
For the roasted Mediterranean veg, simply slice the peppers and courgettes, drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil, seasaon with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice, and roast in an oven at 200C/gas mark 6 for 30 minutes.