More attempts to use the apples from our garden. I made apple and cinnamon muffins on Sunday, so that Andy's folks could either have some in the afternoon or bring home with them. They turned out rather nicely with lovely chunks of apple and the sweet scent of cinnamon. Sarah asked for the recipe which I printed off for her.
Ingredients (makes 12):
275g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
75g caster sugar
1/4 tsp salt
110g melted butter
1tsp vanilla extract
225g cooking apples, peeled and chopped
Topping: 2tbsp Demerara sugar mixed with 1 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 200 C/400 F/gas mark 6. Line muffin tin.
2. Sieve flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, eggs, milk, butter and vanilla extract.
4. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir a few times, add apple and cinnamon and mix gently to form a lumpy batter.
5. Divide mixture between muffin cases, sprinkle the demerara topping on top of each muffin muxture and bake in the for 25-30 mins until well risen and golden.
6. Leave the muffins in the tin for 5 minutes before removing and to cool on a wire rack.